Thursday 22 April 2010

Talks and Puppy Dog Tales

Writing is, for the most part, a lonely profession, but once in a while I receive an invitation to give a talk. A couple of weeks ago, I spent a delightful morning talking to the members of the Parkgate Branch of the University of the 3rd Age.

For those of you unfamiliar with the name, the University of the 3rd Age is an organization for those people no longer in full-time employment. Members can take part in educational, creative, and leisure activities including, languages, music, computing, bird watching, crafts, and of particular interest to me, literature and book groups.

This was my second talk to members of the U3A, and I can honestly say that on both occasions I felt welcome. I had a great time talking about my books, writing and the publishing industry. Thank you Birdwell and Parkgate Branches for inviting me, I just hope I didn’t waffle on for too long!

I said at the start of this post, that writing is a lonely profession, and it is. For the last ten years I’ve had a constant companion in the form of my Border collie, Lucy. Sadly, Lucy passed away in December. Since then the house, and my office, have been a quiet, empty place. No more. Meet Rosie, my nine week old Border collie. Like her predecessor, she’s intelligent, (too intelligent at times) and is now my constant companion. There’s not a room or place I can go without her following me. Given time, I know that will change, but for the moment, I kind of enjoy being a surrogate mum, although she’d rather I played with her than write. But I like a good challenge, so I’m finding new, interesting ways to make book number three come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment